How do you rate Leeds?
|University of Dundee||#2|
|University of Sheffield||#3|
|Harper Adams University||#4|
|University of St Andrews||#5|
|University of Exeter||#7|
|University of Leeds||#9|
|University of Bath||#10|
Join StudentCrowd, Like us on Facebook
Living in Leeds
With two universities, Leeds Metropolitan University and the University of Leeds, and a well-renowned student nightlife, you really should be considering Leeds as a place to study.
Top 10 Tips for Students in Leeds...
1. Pub crawl. You haven’t experienced student life in Leeds until you’ve done the Otley Run – the infamous fancy dress pub crawl. Add it to your to-do list. And move it to the top.
2. Summer time. There are plenty of reasons to stick around in Leeds during the summer – there’s the vibrant Leeds Carnival (Europe’s oldest West Indian carnival) and of course the epic Leeds Festival to name but a couple. Warn your parents now that you’re not coming home!
3. Hungry? If you and your mates can’t agree on a restaurant, try Red Hot World Buffet in The Light centre for an all-you-can-eat buffet in a whole range of international cuisines. That should settle it then.
4. Entertainment. The Leeds Light Night in October is an evening of free performances and exhibitions around the city. It’s the perfect introduction to Leeds and very entertaining.
5. Headingley. Head to Headingley for pretty much everything a student needs – from shops and cafes to launderettes to pubs and bars.
Tweets from https://twitter.com/studenthouses_/leeds
6. Discount. Visit studentbeans.com/leeds/offers for some awesome deals around the city, including discounts at many popular shops, cafes and restaurants as well as special offers on entertainment and experiences.
7. First Direct Arena. For an unforgettable night save up your pennies and visit the recently-opened First Direct Arena for music, comedy, dance or sport – whatever takes your fancy. There are some legendary acts and huge names already said to be booked in for the near future so keep an eye on the website.
8. Travelling? If you’re travelling on a budget don’t forget to check the Megabus website before spending a small fortune on train tickets or petrol. You can get a ticket to London and many other destinations for just £1 if you time it right.
9. Public transport. It’s probably not worth bringing a car unless you have to – parking is tricky and anyway public transport is excellent in Leeds. There’s a free bus service that will get you to several places around the city, and others that cost only 50p including a night bus that will take you home from the Leeds Uni Student Union. Class.
10. Meal out? For a meal out take a browse around Burley. There are lots of pubs and restaurants where you can enjoy a wide variety of cuisines. Try a couple out and you’ll know where to take the parents (the most expensive one, obviously, as they’ll be paying).
- The Drydock: It’s a boat. A bar inside a big blue and yellow boat. It’s not even near any water! We don’t know why they did it, but we think it’s a pretty awesome idea. A student favourite, this is a cheap and cheerful place to start a night out, or play a few rounds of pool with a burger standing by. Lovely stuff.
- Neon Cactus: Spicy Mexican food with a twist. The décor is great and – wait, what do you mean you’ve never tried a chocolate-filled tortilla?
- Simpson’s: Very close to campus, these guys sell 36 varieties of pizza! That should keep you going for a while.
- National: Leeds has teams in all the big national sports. Leeds United football club practises at Beeston, and the The Leeds Rhino rugby league team plays at Headingly stadium, as do Leeds Carnegie rugby union team, and the Yorkshire County Cricket Team. Frankly, you may as will just set up camp there.
- Social: Climbers will love the Leeds Wall indoor facility. The 229 Bus towards Huddersfield will get you there. Less well known, but equally amazing in its own bizarre way, is the City of Leeds Synchronised Swimming Club. You may recoil at the thought of flowery hats and pointy toes, but there is something strangely hypnotic about it…
Read Leeds Reviews
Rent is quite expensive in the centre but worth it for the convenience. Eating out can be really expensive but there are wetherspoons everywhere so eating on a budget can be done. Entry and drinks are often expensive on nights out and you have to get tickets in advance which is a bit annoying. However, trinity is awesome... And deadly for your student loan
Stay away from Call lane unless you have a tendency for drug abuse. Perfect collection of restaurants and bars catering for both peasants and the landed gentry. Make sure you find the nicer places first otherwise you'll end up being a promoter... nobody likes club promoters
Eating out is expensive for students anywhere. Leeds is known for its night scene for a reason with numerous clubbing events every night and the famous Otley Run bar crawl. People even come from neighbouring towns and counties just for a night out. Also with world class shopping arcades each with its own unique design and architecture, if you're not studying here you will have to visit it at least once.
Amazing, so happy I came here. From everything I heard from friends elsewhere I honesty haven't heard of anyone loving their city more then me and my friends do. Sooo much to do, I never get bored. Such a good location to see people and have them visit you.
The city has so much to do and it's relatively close - there are so many eating places and places to have a night out you'd never get bored! Drinks and food is cheaper than where I am from (near London) so value for money is excellent. Bus drivers are generally nice and busses are usually punctual, although sometimes I've experienced the opposite.
Cost of living is what you'd expect from a big student city but it's doable. There are so many places to eat and visit with friends whatever the occasion. The trinity centre makes Leeds a great shopping location and there are plenty other shopping rows plus the white rose mall just outside the city. Public transport is frequent and a lot cheaper than I expected too. Nights out are great! Something for absolutely everyone!