On campus open day on 16th Oct, 28th Nov, 8th Dec & virtual open day on 30th Oct.
Following the government’s April 13 update on in-person teaching, students who are learning online will not be able to return to campus teaching before 17 May. This means that most undergraduate students will not have planned on-campus teaching before exams and assessments begin.
The law with criminology course is lovely, in my first year the mandatory courses were, criminal law, contract law, constitutional law and intro to criminology. I found that all of the courses and the course leaders and tutors were all very lovely, especially Rebecca (criminal law) and Vicky (constitutional law).
The tutorials literally contain no help most the time. Not worth going to. The lectures are great but if you're ill the PowerPoint makes no sense and the lecturers go too quick in class sometimes. The lecturers are super helpful if they don't rush. However there's no help towards getting work experience.
From the day I started the course I was supported and encouraged to reach my full potential. I had a learning contract which met my needs. Oppurtunities such as National Mooting Competitions, Inn Dinners, Varsity Moots, SHU Law Society Roles (including Presidency), a part time job as a Student Ambassador, a placement at a Sheffield based Law firm and meeting the Vice Chancellor all arose during my time at Hallam due to this support along with my ongoing hardwork and committment to the course.
Law is a brilliant course there is many opportunities for you to make in order for you to gain experience for day to day skills and in the job world. The teaching quality is outstanding and they always put you first.
The tutors would rather skive than teach and I’d genuinely say 25% of the lecturers/ tutors know what they are doing the other 75% don’t appear to know what they are talking about or at least don’t come across as if they do. They just follow a lesson plan and PowerPoint that the university has given them to a tee without any attempt to explain further or go beyond it. The personal tutor does nothing more than any other one and if they didn’t tell you you wouldn’t know that they are. The course content is ok. Due to SHU law giving experience in a legal firm the job prospects are probably above average when leaving the university.
Very intense course with a lot of independent study. The course itself is not easy but is what you would expect and therefore the work itself takes time to complete but is not impossible. The online teaching isn’t brilliant as much of it covers independent work completed beforehand which isn’t the most helpful or group work that is often poorly explained. The academic advisor is very helpful and a first point of call with any issues, they get back to you very promptly and always have time to chat and help you out