Living in Hatfield, Hertfordshire
The University of Hertfordshire is in Hatfield, just outside the Greater London area. There is easy access to the city centre by train, which takes just twenty minutes on the fast line.
The A1, one of the UK’s busiest motorways, runs through the town but despite this Hatfield is surprisingly quiet and unbothered by the rush of London. Could be a good location if you know you’d be easily distracted by the big city, but don’t want to be too far away from it either.
Hatfield itself contains all the facilities you’d expect; there are the usual high street shops and supermarkets, and also the expansive Galleria Shopping Centre. There’s an Odeon cinema in the town for nights out with your housemates, and a modest nightlife with most of the clubbing being based in the student union itself.
Just five minutes up the road by bus is Welwyn Garden City, where you’ll find a few more facilities. The Gosling Sports Park, with the Stadium beside it is a great place to start. Its impressive list of facilities includes tennis courts, a golf range and football pitches, a velodrome, athletics track and, finally, a dry slope for skiing and snowboarding. To be honest if you had the time and the money you could probably just spend all day there, although you might sleep through your lectures the next morning if you do.
Hatfield House, and the massive grounds of Hatfield Park that belong to it, are within walking distance from the campus. As well as having big open spaces for walking, jogging, and general playing about, the House also opens it’s grounds for public fairs, seasonal events, show and concerts. Milward’s Park and Home Park on either side of Hatfield Park connect up to form a massive green space that opens onto the countryside.
- London: Err, hello, you’re less than half an hour from Kings Cross. What’s wrong with you? Get out there!
- Welwyn: Head over to good old WGC and go to Rollercity. Sure, you may not have worn rollerskates since you were seven years old, but that’s what makes it so entertaining!
- Retail Therapy: Get the bus to St Albans, Stevenage or Watford, and enjoy a change of scenery.
- Car: Don’t bother. You’ve got...
- The Bus!: The University has their own bus company called Uno which serves not only students but the also members of the general public, although students get discounted rates.
- Taxi: Unicabs.